My Conn C Soprano Saxophone

One day, over ten years ago, I purchased a Conn C soprano sax. My intent was to cover an oboe part in a local community band. Shortly after I purchased this instrument, the band found an oboe player.

P1000483

Sarge, the World Wide Saxes founder and tech, said it was the hardest instrument he’d ever brought back to life. For example, he said the springs were like rusty cheetos! But he did an amazing job.

DSC00556

jimscsp3

jimscsp2

When I got the instrument back it was like new. I had the original mouthpiece and purchased a couple of new c soprano mouthpieces, I really wanted this instrument to work. But the inherent intonation was so bad.  I sadly realized that it would take a lot of time by a better musician than myself to use this instrument in an ensemble. So I sold this instrument at a loss and moved on.

jimscsop

jimscsp1

Advertisements

About Gandalfe

Just an itinerant saxophonist trying to find life between the changes. I have retired from the Corps of Engineers and Microsoft. I am an admin on the Woodwind Forum, run the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra, and enjoy time with family and friends.
This entry was posted in Music Instruments, My World, Saxophone and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to My Conn C Soprano Saxophone

  1. Thomas Zappe says:

    C Sopranos are much better in theory than they are in the concrete, although….that might be the best place for most of them

  2. Ben Voiles says:

    Is there anything inherently wrong with it that makes the intonation bad? I heard people on YOUtube play them with good intonation. I’m thinking about buying one but if I do I want it to play, I have enough collector’s items. I know the smaller the instrument, the more difference pushing or pulling out the mouthpeice makes. If you have to pull or or push in too much it will throw the entire turning off.

  3. Ben Voiles says:

    I have a soprano that was flat. If I pushed the mouthpiece in enough to get it in tune the so called throat tones would be off. I finally did the string trick and it really works. I’m getting ready to take it in for a repair I’m going to talk to the tech to see if a more permanent solution can be found.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s