My Dad asked me for the simple rules I use to teach my grandkids to play chess. So here are the Chess 101 rules:
1. White is right. Make sure that as you face your side of the board, the white square is on the right.
2. Queen goes on her own color. Black queen goes on black square in the middle of the first row.
3. Never move your queen too fast. Rookie are so eager to get the queen out there where they chance losing her.
4. Knights (horsies) should not be moved to the edges of the board if possible. They lose half of their move options there.
5. Own the middle of the board and you own the game.
These are very simplistic, but a good way to start. The other thing that you can do is to play until your youngster thinks all is lost and then switch sides. I do recommend however that you save this chess board for playing with your buddies: