A number of bloggers have asked me how to drive traffic to <insert name of your blog here>. I have talked about the technical aspects of getting more people to your blog, but I’ve forgotten one the most basic concepts. Your content has to be interesting and have value to your readers.
Robert Scoble was asked this same question and after looking at the blog in question his response was:
- It took me five years of blogging every night to get where I am in traffic.
- Patience, patience!
- I can only see one post on here.
- The first question you have should not be "how do I get more traffic?"
- It should be "how can I blog better?"
- Traffic FOLLOWS good content. There’s no way around that rule. Well, unless you want to do something salacious.
Seth Godin sez:
I write this blog mostly for myself so that I can find things that are frequently asked questions (FAQs), stuff I want to do more work on, and as a history of what I’ve done in the past. I can’t count how many times I’ve been able to go back to my blog and find when I purchased something like a bass clarinet or scooter. And it’s nice to have access to important pictures for other endeavors and conversation.